Updates are necessary whether it is your Windows OS, antivirus program, or any application that you are using on your PC. Updates help keep you PC run smoothly by repairing the internal glitches and bridging any loopholes. In the same fashion, your Microsoft Security Essentials needs to be updated with latest virus definitions as these enhance its defense system to deal with latest and everyday growing threats. Below are the simple instructions that will help you update your antivirus program smoothly:
- Locate ‘Microsoft Security Essentials‘ in your system tray. Double click on the icon to open it.
- If it is not there, click on the ‘Start‘ menu> ‘All Programs‘> and click on ‘Microsoft Security Essentials‘ to open it
- Click on the ‘Update‘ tab at the top and then click on the ‘Update‘ button.
- It will start downloading the latest virus definitions and updates to your system. During the process you may close or minimize the MSE window.
- When the process completes, it will show up-to-date message on the screen when you reopen the MSE program.
- First check which Windows version you have. You can check it by pressing the ‘Windows‘ key and ‘Pause/Break‘ key together on the keyboard. It will take you to the properties of Windows OS. Check if you have 32-bit, 64-bit version.
- Open your web browser viz. Internet Explorer (IE) or Firefox etc.
- Go to www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0 (you can also copy and paste this link in your browser’s address bar and hit ‘Enter’ on the keyboard).
- Click to choose whichever Windows version you have to download the latest definitions.
- When a dialog box opens (mpam.f etc., vary with your Windows version), click on ‘Save File’ and save the file to your preferred location.
- Double click on the file icon to open and run it. Now let the updates be downloaded to your PC. It may take some time so wait for the process to finish.
- When the updates file is running, a file extraction dialog box will appear. The box will show that the updates are being downloaded.
- When the downloading is finished, the box will be closed automatically. If it doesn’t you can close it.
- If you want to check whether the updates have been downloaded or not, open the ‘Microsoft Security Essentials’ and click on the ‘Updates‘ tab. It will show a message ‘up-to-date’.
- You must be logged in as an administrator to your PC or should have administrative privileges to update or make changes to MSE.
- If you have Windows 7 or Vista, then right click on downloaded file, click on ‘Run as administrator‘, and click on ‘Yes‘. If it prompts for admin username and password, key in the information.
- You would need an active internet connection to download the virus definitions.